“Our chicken is brown!”

My granddaughter is 5 years old. She loves to talk, and she loves to help me in the kitchen.

She often wants to try and do things that are a little above her age, so I try to find things that her little hands can handle.

She is usually eager to give it a try…at least one time.

It’s the kind of stuff that if she HAD to do it, she probably wouldn’t want to do it. You know, like washing dishes and sweeping the floor.  Once in a while it’s fun, especially at Grandma’s house!

my helper

So, yesterday as I was getting everything ready to fix my “chicken in a pot“, I decided to see if she would want to give me a hand.

I told her I had a big job for her, and asked if she wanted to help!

“Oh yes, I can do it Grandma!”

First step was to get the ingredients ready, so I had her get the carrots and celery out of the refrigerator for me.

I asked her if she had ever peeled a carrot before.  No, but she sure did want to give it a try.

With multiple warnings from me about how careful she would need to be, she took on the task of peeling the carrot. She was very careful, talking me through it the whole entire time. She talked about how much she liked carrots, but doesn’t like celery. How that we are the same because we both like carrots, but different because I like celery and she doesn’t.

Listening carefully to my instruction, she completed the task and really did a great job!  Hmmm, I wonder, would she be willing to do it another time?

Non-stop talk, she was sharing her knowledge of the kitchen with me. One of which was the danger of the garbage disposal!  I was cautioned to be careful and not get my hands too close to it, because there are “sharp knives down there!”

Then I let her wash off the celery and the carrots, and as I chopped it all up, she put them all in the crock pot.

When I got out the chicken and started washing it off, with great dismay in her voice my granddaughter said… “what is that?”

“It’s a chicken!”

Oh.  My daddy makes really good chicken,… but our chicken doesn’t look like that, our chicken is brown!

Ahh….. yes, the rotisserie chicken from the store! Already cooked and ready to eat!

Not quite like Grandma’s chicken, but yes, it still tastes good!

I learned so much from this little girl during our time together! About our likes and dislikes, dangers in the kitchen, and most importantly the difference in our chicken!

I really look forward to making more kitchen memories her.

She certainly makes me smile 🙂

Advertisements

12 thoughts on ““Our chicken is brown!”

1. What a lovely picture of her at the sink! Hah, made me laugh. I tried to give my daughter one of my cookbooks a couple of years ago. At 29 she said, Mom I won’t ever touch raw chicken. I think hers is only ever brown as well…

2. A darling post – granddaughters are such a blessing 🙂

• Becky says:

Oh yes they are, and this one is pretty special to me because right now, she is my only granddaughter 🙂 I have two grandsons, and oh, they are amazing too, but this little girl, well, she can be simply adorable as only a little girl can do! 🙂 She’s captured our hearts, that’s for sure!

3. Power Summit says:

I love that little girl 🙂

4. Tina Schell says:

What a sweet story! I still have a scar on my knuckle from when I was a little girl peeling potatoes 🙂

• Becky says:

Ohhh, I’m sorry. That is exactly what I was afraid of what would happen to her! That’s why I must have told her a thousand times (well it seemed like it anyway) to be careful!!! I think with a carrot it was a little easier because she had a “handle” to hold on to while she peeled the other side. A potato, I’m not sure I’m ready to tackle that one with her just yet.
      We might just stick to carrots for a little while 🙂

5. This was a wonderful story to share. I’ve been thinking about getting my children more involved in the kitchen, when I’m cooking. I think now it will be a good idea. Thanks for returning my visit to your blog. 🙂

• Becky says:

Yes! Give it a try! Start with something simple though, and make sure it’s a day when you have LOTS of patience working on your side! 🙂
      I have a hard time sharing my kitchen sometimes, and with little kids, it can be a challenge, but in the end, the reward is greater than the challenge, and creates a beautiful memory!
      I can’t wait to hear of your adventures in the kitchen! 🙂

6. Jessie says:

Sounds like you guys had a great time. I love cooking with my girls when I’m not super rushed. Lately my oldest (6) has been making dinner “all by herself” she’s treated us to spaghetti and meatballs (from scratch)and buttered noodles so far! 🙂 I look forward to when she’s big enough to lift the heavy pots by herself and I can just verbally assist from the sidelines!

• Becky says:

Wow! Maybe you have a little Julia Child on your hands! That’s pretty impressive that she can fix those meals by herself! Won’t that be great when she can fix your dinner, and you can sit and chat with her and just watch, and drink your tea! Ahhhh…life as it should be, right? 🙂
      We did have a lot of fun, I want to do more with her in the kitchen. I never had that opportunity with my Grandma, so it’s a pretty special moment for me!

Comments are closed.